Capell & Howard P.C. is pleased to announce that 20 of its lawyers have been included in the 2020 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America®. Three of these attorneys (Lister Hubbard, Debby Spain and Courtney Williams) were also selected as “Lawyers of the Year”. Since it was first published in 1983, Best Lawyers has become universally regarded as the definitive guide to legal excellence.
The Best Lawyers methodology is designed to capture, as accurately as possible, the consensus opinion of leading lawyers about the professional abilities, professionalism, and integrity of their colleagues within the same geographical area and legal practice area.
Best Lawyers has published a list for over three decades, earning the respect of the profession, the media, and the public as a reliable, unbiased source of meaningful peer-reviewed evaluations of lawyers practicing across a board scope of practice areas. Its first international list was published in 2006 and since then has grown to provide lists in more than 75 countries.
Lawyers on The Best Lawyers in America list are divided by geographic region and practice areas. They are reviewed by their peers on the basis of professional expertise and undergo an authentication process to make sure they are in current practice and in good standing.
The Capell & Howard P.C. attorneys named to 2020 The Best Lawyers in America list are:
- Shapard D. Ashley – Real Estate Law
- Chad W. Bryan – Commercial Litigation, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
- William D. Coleman – Arbitration, Commercial Litigation, Construction Law, Litigation – Construction, Litigation – Environmental, Mediation
- Bruce J. Downey – Litigation – Labor and Employment, Labor Law – Management, Employment Law – Management
- Carla Cole Gilmore – Employment Law – Management
- J. Lister Hubbard – Construction Law, Litigation – Construction
- David B. Hughes – Real Estate Law
- Henry H. Hutchinson – Tax Law, Corporate Law, Litigation and Controversy – Tax
- D. Kyle Johnson – Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, Tax Law, Trusts and Estates, Corporate Law
- R. Brooke Lawson – Construction Law, Litigation – Construction
- Robert T. Meadows – Family Law, Commercial Litigation
- Robert F. Northcutt – Commercial Litigation
- Robert Rives – Real Estate Law
- William Allen Sheehan – Commercial Litigation
- K. Palmer Smith – Real Estate Law
- Debra D. Spain – Tax Law, Trusts and Estates, Litigation – Trusts and Estates
- James N. Walter – Arbitration, Mediation, Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Securities, Litigation – Banking and Finance
- Christopher W. Weller – Appellate Practice, Labor Law – Management
- Barbara J. Wells – Litigation – Labor and Employment, Employment Law – Individuals
- M. Courtney Williams – Tax Law, Litigation and Controversy – Tax, Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships)
Additionally, Capell & Howard P.C. has been ranked in the 2020 U.S. News – Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” list and regionally in 18 practice areas: Arbitration, Commercial Litigation, Corporate Law, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, Employment Law – Individuals, Employment Law – Management, Labor Law – Management, Litigation – Banking & Finance, Litigation – Labor & Employment, Litigation – Tax, Mediation, Real Estate Law, Tax Law, Trusts & Estates Law, Litigation – Environmental, Litigation – Securities, Litigation – Trusts & Estates, and Family Law.
Attorneys included in the Best Lawyers listing who receive the highest overall peer feedback for a specific practice area and geographic location are awarded “Lawyer of the Year.”
Capell & Howard P.C. would like to congratulate the following attorneys named Lawyers of the Year for the Montgomery area:
- Lister Hubbard – Construction Law
- Debra D. Spain – Tax Law and Litigation – Trusts and Estates
- Courtney Williams – Tax Law and Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships)
Only a single lawyer in each practice area and designated metropolitan area is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year,” making this accolade particularly significant. These lawyers are selected based on particularly impressive voting averages received during the peer-review assessments. Receiving this designation reflects the high level of respect a lawyer has earned among other leading lawyers in the same communities and the same practice areas for their abilities, their professionalism, and their integrity.
Since 1947, the attorneys of Capell & Howard, P.C. have been providing clients professional expertise coupled with an abiding commitment to client service. As a full-service provider of legal advice and representation, its attorneys have been recognized across a wide range of practice areas. The firm also has served for many years as the sole Alabama representative in SCG Legal, an international association of law firms with offices in the capital city of each State and many financial centers around the world. Based in Montgomery, Alabama, with an office in Auburn-Opelika, the firm’s central location allows for efficient representation throughout the State. In addition to its in-State client base, the firm serves as Alabama counsel for regional, national, and international companies.